Another Valentine's Day has come and gone, but we will always have the memories of another snow-covered romantic weekend on the Ridge. One of our guests' favorite memories (if the requests for recipes are any indication) will be Chef Josh's special Valentine's Day Menu for dinner on Friday night. (See post below for the full menu!)
Though everyone was visibly excited about feasting on the 8oz. Filet Mignon, Spinach-Parmesan Stuffed Sole, and Abbey's Chocolate Mousse Cake - some guests were a bit reluctant about the Beet & Apple Soup. Maybe it was the bright magenta color (not often found in soup) or just the word "beet" (I love them, but I know most people think "borscht") - but we asked that they just "try it" first.
Well, what do you know... they LOVED it! And now everybody wants the recipe!
So here you go - Enjoy!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound raw beets, peeled and chopped
- 1 large apple, cored and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Bundle of fresh thyme
- 1 large bay leaf
- Fresh lemon juice / blood orange
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Buttermilk sour cream
- Dill sprigs for garnish
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add vegetable oil and three tablespoons of the stock. Add vegetables and apple. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cumin seeds to the mixture and allow them to cook for about a minute; then add the rest of the stock, thyme, bay leaf, lemon juice, blood orange juice, salt and pepper.
- Allow the mixture to boil. Cover it, and then allow it to simmer for about half an hour. Strain the vegetables from the mixture and reserve the liquid. Puree or blend the vegetables until they're smooth and creamy.
- Put the vegetables back in the pan and add the remaining stock. Reheat the liquid. Season it to taste. Top with Buttermilk Sour Cream. Garnish with the dill sprigs.